Women’s Championships - Match Report Day 2

Friday, June 21, 2013



ACT v South Australia

Shoot-out at Fretwell Park goes to ACT

South Australia were very quick to score their first goal with Danielle Cresp marking twice inside her 50 early in the first term to slot a straight 40-metre kick through the middle.

ACT burst into life after SA’s second goal with strong marking from Rebecca Mitchell.
Ruth Wallace (SA) was in outstanding form in defense and repeatedly drove the ball back to her midfielders. T
The second quarter was a willing affair with neither team able to find space. Stoppages were frequent and finding a target was difficult as the disposer was always under enormous pressure.
ACT’s Kasie Nugent confidently kicked the first goal of the second half from an angle that would be considered 10% at AFL level.
That put the Capital girls 2 points down and the SA defense was under siege for the rest of the quarter and if not for the clever positioning of Michelle Reid (SA) the ACT would have torn the game open.
Reid won several one on one contests in the goal square to repel ACT who couldn’t find a target in attack.
Demant (ACT) snatched the lead for ACT early in the third through a snap and followed up at the 12 minute mark with a long curling kick that should have broken the back of the Croweaters.
Thirty seconds later SA ran the ball to their goals and through a superb effort from Swanson kicked a goal to make the difference two points again.
Four goals in four minutes made for an entertaining final term. For three quarters there was a total of 5 goals kicked between the teams but in the fourth it became a shoot out with a bag of 8 goals and 5 winner changes.
ACT 0.3 1.5 2.5 7.7 (49)
South Australia 2.0 3.1 3.4 6.4 (40)
ACT: Demant 3, Gill, Mathewson, Nugent, Wallet
South Australia: Swanson 2, Cresp 2, Tynan, Mark
ACT: Anderson, King, Tisma, Mitchell, Nugent, Peel
South Australia: McKenzie, Wallace, Campbell, Wilson, Gibson, Cresp

Tasmania v Arafura

Tasmania was too strong and too experienced for Championship newcomers Arafura in the second match of the day.
The first quarter was a hard slog for both teams with Tassie finally converting 13-minutes in via Natalia Curtis.
Arafura battled strongly in defense but a lack of forward thrust saw them end the quarter scoreless.
Tassie were straight into attack in the second term with a great running goal on a tight angle from Anita Silva.
She quickly followed up with another to see southerners push out to a 21-point lead.
Tassie had found their groove and were relentless. Arafura’s attempts to get the ball into their forward half were repeatedly thwarted by the likes of Rachel Crack and Chantelle Graham and they went into the main break 27-points down.
It was all one-way traffic in the third term with goals to Irvine, Eaton and two to Nietta Lynch.
Arafura saw some joy in the final term when Maddie Peters slotted their first major.
But it was all about Tasmania with Lynch and Silva running riot in the forward line and Arafura unable to respond.
Tasmania running out winners by 57-points.
Tasmania 1.2 4.2 8.7 12.7 (79)
Arufrua 0.0 0.1 0.3 1.6 (12)
Tasmania: Lynch 4, Silva 4, Smith, Eaton, Dever-Kavanagh, Curtis
Arufrua: Peters
Tasmania: Crack, Silva, Dever-Kavanagh, Wuetschner, Allen, Eaton
Arufrua: Dunn, Trindle-Price, Kelly, Kotapu, Purutatameri, Paech

Victoria vs. Western Australia

Honors in the much-anticipated clash between likely grand finalists Victoria and Western Australia went to reining champions Victoria.
The southerners scored first blood when Katie Brennan pounced on a loose ball and slotted it through just over three minutes into the first term.
WA held Victoria up on the half-forward line before Stephanie Chiocci dribbled one through midway through the quarter.
Chiocci and Brennan were everywhere; the Victorian midfield machine putting the WA defense under plenty of pressure with Victoria’s ability to move the ball the difference between the two teams.
Chloe Colgate snapped a goal late in the term to get the sandgropers on the scoreboard and reduce the margin to 19-points at quarter time.
Carney was terrific in the second term as was Katie Brennan and Aasta O’Connor who slotted one through at the ten-minute for the first goal of the term.
WA got the six points straight back via Ashley Renshaw to keep in striking distance but Katie Loynes replied almost instantly for the Vics.
Victoria’s mid-field roamed in packs with the hapless WA unable to provide an answer.
It was raining goals for the navy blues, including a double to the potent Janine Garner.
Ellie Blackburn kicked Victoria’s tenth goal right on the siren to give Victoria a 52-point buffer at the big break.
Captain Chelsea Randall gave WA some hope when she scored the first goal of the third term.
Looking a more aggressive and desperate outfit, the Western Australians continued to press forward, their persistence paying off with another goal to Chelsea Randall at the 12-minute mark.
With three-minutes left on the clock Katie Brennan kicked truly from a set shot to give Victoria their first goal for the quarter.
Kira Phillips answered back with a running goal to see the margin reduced to 39-points at three-quarter time.
It was a miserly final quarter with goals hard to come by for both teams.
Lauren Arnell gave Victoria their twelfth major at the four-minute mark and it was another ten minutes before they would score their next through Stephanie Simpson.
Chiocci snapped another less than a minute later to give the Victorians a 58-point victory and a stranglehold on the Championship trophy.
Victoria 4.1 10.4 11.4 14.6 (90)
Western Australia 1.0 2.0 5.1 5.2 (32)
Victoria: Chiocci 2, Simpson 2, Brennan 2, Garner 2, Loynes, O’Connor, O’Dea, Blackburn, Arnell, Pearce
Western Australia: Randall 2, Renshaw, Phillips, Colegate
Victoria: Loynes, Brennan, Hickey, Stevens, Chiocci, Paxman
Western Australia: Hooker, Mascall, Haynes, Whyte, O’Donnell, Randall


Both Queensland and WA were keen to atone for Day 1 losses to Victoria and WA respectively in their AFL Women’s Championship match at Cazaly’s stadium.
The first term was a scrappy and congested affair with with clean possessions hard to come by for both teams.
Queensland Get Wines Direct Sunfire was the first to do some damage on the scoreboard with a goal from Sharni Webb.
Stoppages were plentiful and Queensland had trouble getting the ball any closer to goal than the half-forward mark.
But their miserly tactics won the quarter and they went into the break 8-points up on the scoreless NSW.
Captain Nat Thomas took a great mark directly in front of goal a minute into the second quarter to extend Queensland’s lead.
The maroons were getting plenty of possession but were unable to clear the ball effectively. Conversely NSW were cleaner with less opportunity.
A more composed NSW finally found its way between the sticks to even up the score 7-mintes into the term, courtesy of Laura Holdsworth.
Queensland responded well out of the centre and were getting plenty of inside-50 opportunities, however a stoic NSW defense was repelling every attack.
Nat Thomas was creative in front of goal for the Queenslanders but could not convert.

Focus shifted to the NSW forward-line and, like their opposition, they were finding the post an unavoidable obstacle.
Cue siren, with Queensland going into the main break holding a slender 7-point lead.
The Get Wines Direct Sunfire came out of the break swinging and went straight into attack, the NSW defensive lines holding strong against the onslaught.
An entertaining battle between NSW’s Kirrily Boyd and Queensland stalwart Jo Butland was a highlight of the term, with neither giving an inch.
In a carbon copy of the first term, NSW shifted focus to their forward-50 with both teams slogging it out at ground level to no avail.
A 50-metre penalty brought the ball back to the Queensland forward line where Jo Butland scored a free off the ball. She goaled from directly in front to score the first major of the term with just three minutes left in the quarter.
A busy Rebecca Bagendorf brought the ball back to Queensland’s forward line and another free – this time to Nat Thomas – giving the host-state team another six points.
Queensland were on a roll now and Emily Bates slotted another one through just before the siren to give them a handy 27-point lead at the final change.
NSW needed to find something special in the final term and Tobi Noble’s left foot snap with the breeze was an inspiring effort.
A desperate NSW team were throwing themselves into every contest but pressure from Jo Butland caused a vital turnover that resulted in another Nat Thomas goal.
Courtney Gum scored for NSW but the damage was done, Queensland Get Wines Direct Sunfire posting a 20-point win.
1.2 2.4 5.6 6.8 (44)
NSW 0.0 1.3 1.3 3.6 (24)
Queensland: Thomas 3, Webb, Butland, Bates
NSW: Holdsworth, Gum, Noble
Queensland: Lutkins, Webb, Singleton, Stampa, Bates, Kaslar, James
NSW: Gum, Freckleton, Noble, Sadler, Parkin, Verkuyle


Comment on this story

* - required field



No comments